Welcome to the official website of the Peoria Illinois General Assembly

Read the New York City General Assembly Declaration
Create an Account
Join some groups
or find other ways to help

You are browsing the archive for 2011 November.

by Don

UPDATED: Rally and General Assembly on December 3rd

November 28, 2011 in Assemblies, Marches & Rallies

(http://twitter NULL.com/share)

Solidarity Saturday

Join us on Saturday at Noon at the corner of Main Street and University Ave.  Shortly after gathering we will likely march to Bradley Olin Quad in solidarity with the Bradley student members of Occupy Peoria.  After 1:00 pm we will all join the occupation at Fulton Plaza.  At 3:00 pm we will convene a General Assembly at the Peoria Public Library at Main St. and Monroe.  The General Assembly will be at Fulton Plaza if we would exceed room capacity at the library.  The rally continues at Fulton Plaza after the General Assembly.

(updated by Steve based on yesterday's meetings at Bradley and Fulton Plaza)

by Don

Rally at Federal Court House on November 30th

November 27, 2011 in Uncategorized

(http://twitter NULL.com/share)

At 3pm Wednesday, November 30th, Occupy Peoria will Rally at the Federal Courthouse at Main and Monroe Street. The Rally will end at 5pm.

by Don

Proposal for the November 26th General Assembly

November 21, 2011 in Future Proposals

(http://twitter NULL.com/share)

Since this subject keeps coming up and it sounds applicable to Peoria’s citizens’ right to better representation in City GOvernment, I would like to add to the agenda the possibility for Action by the Occupy Peoria movement to start a petition drive to force a ballot issue to increase the number of districts and to reduce the number of at-large members of City Council in Peoria in order to give fair representation for Peoria’s citizens. Details known so far include:
1. The threshold is high and the timeline short – 7,050 signatures from registered Peoria voters by December 19th, 2011
2. Today, the city has (5) representative districts & (5) at large council members. All (5) of the at large members are from the 5th district – the highest income per capita of the districts by far – meaning essentially 60% of Council is from the 5th district.
3. After months of public hearings and public comments in favor of changing the city’s cumulative voting system for City Council, the current representatives voted largely against giving voters an opportunity to even weigh in on changes on the March ballot.

Please research this issue and bring your thoughts and information to the November 26th General Assembly at the Peoria Public Library at 3pm.

Thanks,

Don

by Don

Minutes of the November 19th General Assembly

November 20, 2011 in GA Minutes

(http://twitter NULL.com/share)

On Saturday November 19th there were not enough Occupiers present to hold a morning General Assembly at 10am. At 3pm, there were at least 15 people and an Assembly was convened. Andrew was Facilitator, Tamara was Stack Coordinator and Don was Recorder. The minutes of the November 12th GA was read and Agenda formed. The order of Agenda items was as follows:
1. Location and time of next GA. comments:
– Outdoors GA’s feel more organic, aids openess and transparency
– Older persons are less tolerant of the cold
– Keeping notes outdoors is difficult when your fingers are frozen
– There are several possibilities for indoor GA’s (library branches?, Labor Temple? UU church?)
some charge a fee however. The Bradley students may be able to get classrooms in the future.
– Until we pick an Occupy location, we should stay indoors.
– We should stay outdoors until it is too cold
A consensus was reached for holding the GA at the Peoria Library on Saturday and Don volunteered
to reserve a room for 3pm.
2. Location and time of next Rally. comments:
– Should we protest at a bank downtown?
– Downtown is dead on weekends in the fall and winter.
– Because of Thanksgiving, Wednesday and Friday will not have much attendance.
– Should we mix up locations to broaden the exposure for Occupy Peoria?
– We picked the War Memorial and Sterling location because of the volume of traffic and
decided to keep the protest in one place last GA.
– We should develop special events in addition to our regular protest dates and locations.
– We should move around town and do more outreach.
– The numbers of protesters should grow before we spread to more locations.
– Since our numbers are so light in the morning, we should only have afternoon Rallies.
– We should print posters to notify residents of new locations we’ve chosen
A consensus was reached for holding the next Rally at War Memorial and Sterling Ave. at Noon.
3. Committee Reports –
– The Permanent Occupy location Committee looked at a potential house on Sunday. Because of the
condition of the house, feedback from GA’s of the past, No purchase will be attempted.
The committee is researching other locations such as Fulton Plaza and Lawyers are being
consulted. The ACLU has not yet responded to requests for advice. Both private and public
locations are being considered.
– Steve reported that he participated in the Occupy Illinois conference call. Only Occupy
BloNo is occupying a place on campus at I.S.U. in all of Illinois.
– The Outreach committee met on Wednesday. A summary will posted on the Occupy Peoria website.
A new group was created to research topics and develop materials for Outreach through pamphlets,
videos, flyers and lectures. It is hoped that coordination with the Bradley Action Committee
can secure classrooms at Bradley for discussions on topics chosen by the General Assembly.
– The Bradley Action Committee reported that they are making progress but may not formally occupy
until next semester. The campus gave guidelines for protesting (for instance not when the temp
is below 25 degrees) and a location may be decided soon. Andrew is confident rooms should be
available for discussions by Occupy Bradley as they did on Tuesday with professors participating.
4. Steve discussed improvements to the Web Site. It is “modelled” after Occupy Wall Street’s web
page using much of the same code. This affords flexibilty and ease of management and it is
hoped that discussions can soon be placed on the web site versus on Facebook. Registration on
the site is simple and problems should be reported to the contact address.
5. Steve read the Statement of Autonomy (that is modelled after Occupy Wall Street) to set forth the
policy for participating organizations outside of Occupy Peoria. it is posted on this website and
consensus was reached to approve the Statement of Autonomy.
6. A vote was taken to skip the Wednesday Rally because of Thanksgiving and consensus was reached.
7. Discussion was held on a need for action beyond Rallies. Comments were:
– We can pick local issues to promote at city council meetings.
– We can pick national issues to promote locally too.
– They should be positive actions towards constructive goals.
– Further discussion can be on the web site for actions.
– More letters to the editor should be written.
8. Consensus was reached to end the General Assembly at 4:40pm

by Don

Rally Saturday November 26th

November 20, 2011 in Marches & Rallies

(http://twitter NULL.com/share)

The General Assembly of November 19th voted to hold the next Rally at Noon Saturday at the intersection of War Memorial Drive and Sterling Ave. The General Assembly will be held at 3pm.
Once a location is reseverd, it will be announced here.

Statement of Autonomy

November 19, 2011 in News, Past Proposals

(http://twitter NULL.com/share)

Statement of Autonomy

Passed by the General Assembly at Occupy Peoria

Occupy Peoria is a people’s movement. It is party-less, leaderless, by the people and for the people. It is not a business, a political party, an advertising campaign or a brand.  It is not for sale.

We welcome all, who, in good faith, petition for a redress of grievances through non-violence.  We provide a forum for peaceful assembly of individuals to engage in participatory as opposed to partisan debate and democracy.  We welcome dissent.

Any statement or declaration not released through the Occupy Peoria General Assembly and made public online at www.occupypeoria.org should be considered independent of Occupy Peoria.

We wish to clarify that Occupy Peora is not and never has been affiliated with any established political party, candidate or organization.  Our only affiliation is with the people.

The people who are working together to create this movement are its sole and mutual caretakers.  If you have chosen to devote resources to building this movement, especially your time and labor, then it is yours.

Any organization is welcome to support us with the knowledge that doing so will mean questioning your own institutional frameworks of work and hierarchy and integrating our principles into your modes of action.

SPEAK WITH US, NOT FOR US.

Occupy Peoria values collective resources, dignity, integrity and autonomy above money.  We have not made endorsements.  All donations are accepted anonymously and are transparently allocated via consensus by the Occupy Peoria General Assembly.

We acknowledge the existence of professional activists who work to make our world a better place.  If you are representing, or being compensated by an independent source while participating in our process, please disclose your affiliation at the outset.  Those seeking to capitalize on this movement or undermine it by appropriating its message or symbols are not a part of Occupy Peoria.

We stand in solidarity with Occupy Wall Street and everyone aligned with the Occupy Wall Street Statement of Autonomy (http://www NULL.nycga NULL.net/resources/statement-of-autonomy/).  We are Occupy Peoria.

by Don

Minutes of the November 12th General Assembly

November 13, 2011 in GA Minutes

(http://twitter NULL.com/share)

The Occupy Peoria General Assembly met at the Peoria Public Library at 3pm on the 12th of November at 3:00pm.

Tamara Royer Facilitated, Hanna was stack coordinator and Don Necessary was recorder. The assembly was asked if anyone objected to WAZU recording the session and no one objected. The minutes of the November 5th General Assembly were read. Benjamin Malachek elaborated on the subject of Voting on a top 5 reasons for Occupy Peoria and the need to
take care to separate grievances and goals. Since this is an ongoing procedure, no objections or conserns were raised about delaying a vote.

Next, Dave Cuculich updated the Assembly on the planned discussion at Bradley University on Tuesday Nov 15th at 7pm.

Mike Perillo will moderate a panel of two sociology professors and several members of the Bradley Action Committee.
David explained non-students are not allowed to engage in on-campus protests but the public is allowed to come to seminars.

Next, the General Assembly discussed the proposal to move Wednesday’s protest to Thursday in conjuction with the OWS call for National Action on the 17th. Consensus was reached for moving the protest to Thursday at 3pm until Dark. No General Assembly is planned afterwards.

Next, Bill Poorman who leads a local chapter of the group Move to Amend, explained the goal of the group (A national referendum to amend the constitution to reverse the Supreme Court decision on Citizens United versus the FEC) and stated that on January 20th, a National observance will be planned (versus the actual anniversary of the 21st). No local plans are made yet by Move to Amend on that date but plans are in the works to petition local city governments for resolutions declaring that Corporations are not Citizens. This prompted ideas later of maybe having this be an action for Occupy Peoria to bring up each council meeting. There was no quorum to vote on such an action near the end of the GA.

Next, the item of occupying a regular place was discussed. Comments made were:

We don’t have a place to occupy but need to identify one to keep interest

We need more discussion on how Oakland evolved into various actions

We need more planning for something invigorating to bring more participation

We need something big and sustained versus single events

There are two views on our progress, Long-term and pragmatic vs Short-term action

We need a single place for the occupations and GA’s that is consistent

We should keep Ga’s outdoors for unlimited access

Are there enough people willing to man a 24 hour occupation outdoors?

Maybe participants are suffering Burnout and need activities to bring up the energy

We must get the attention of politicians

Is there anything to be learned from the Tea Party?

We need to seek endorsements and make a presence

Peoria is difficult and frustrating. Bradley is a different student population than ICC

We need to attract the young students in High Schools as well

We are in the early stages of committee building

This will be a long process over many months, we need to

add to our ranks

The media is not reporting the real story of OWS and OP or they ignore us

We need to make Outreach our priority like producing pamplets, leaflets and educational events.

Next, the schedule for November 19th was discussed. Suggestions were:

we have GA’s in the am before we protested.
we have several GA’s in a day to accomdate shift workers
we have several GA’s per week

we have the GA at the location of the protest
All GA’s must be published in advance and that the minutes of the previous GA be provided to be read

The General Assembly came to consensus that at least 15 people are needed to constitute a quorum in order to conduct voting. The vote was unanimous and there were 16 people in attendance. Then the GA decided to hold next Saturday’s protest and GA at War Memorial and Sterling Ave. The first GA will start at 10AM followed by a Rally on the same location.

A second GA will start at 3pm until dark. There is parking in the strip malls across Sterling Ave. from the abandoned Gas Station.

Next, Richard Reeves described a petition for Pekin to have a referendum on Home Rule. He described the current situation where Pekin voters narrowly defeated a proposed prison but the city council later decided to override that vote and proceed to allow a prison to be built. He asked if this is something the GA wants to consider for Peoria but also stated teh deadline for signatures is November 17th. It was dedcided that more information is needed about home rule benefits and Peoria City Council Rules.

Next, the General Assembly discussed the proposal to buy a permanent winter headquarters (a foreclosed property). no one was present from the committee for permanent action. It was noted the location was to be inspected by interested persons on Sunday the 13th at 3pm at 200 NE Rock Island Ave. Comments included:

Could we just squat on a foreclosed property?

If we know of a family in danger of foreclosure, we should help with a protest as at other Occupy locations

It would take lof people to do an action to prevent a Sheriff’s action at foreclosure

We should seek out families in danger of foreclosure

We should inspect the property on Sunday

Does this reinforce or endorse bad decision making and practices for banks?
Which bank holds the title?
How much work and money would be involved to make it habitable?

Could we better spend the money and labor that would be used for a house?

Does the purchase of a house cause a divide between those in the group who gave money and those who did not?

Purchasing a house takes a lot of money in addition to the initial purchase price.
Is the location safe for the occupiers?

Since there was no proposal or committee report, discussion then ended.

The General Assembly adjourned when the library notified the members it was about to close.

A suggestion was made to add the following links at the end of each e-mail minutes:

http://occupypeoria.org

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=hp#!/pages/Occupy-Peoria/197898350283956

by Don

Saturday Schedule change starting November 19th

November 13, 2011 in Marches & Rallies, News

(http://twitter NULL.com/share)

Saturday, November 19th at 10am the Occupy Peoria General Assembly will meet outdoors at the intersection of War Memorial Drive and Sterling Avenue until Noon. After the General Assembly, a Rally will be held at that intersection until 3pm. At 3pm, another General Assembly will be held at that location.
The Rally is planned to be located next to the abandoned Gas Station at that intersection.

by Don

Thursday Rally in conjunction with National Day of Action

November 13, 2011 in Marches & Rallies, News

(http://twitter NULL.com/share)

Thursday, November 17th at 3pm. Occupy Peoria will assemble on the sidewalk in front of the Federal Courthouse at Main and Monroe Streets in conjunction with the National Day of Action declared by Occupy Wall Street. Bring your signs of support and join us until sunset.

by Don

Bradley Action Committee hosting seminar about Occupy Nov 15th

November 10, 2011 in News

(http://twitter NULL.com/share)

On Tuesday the Bradley Action Committee's first event, and second attempt to tell people about the movement on the 15th at 7:30pm in Olin Hall, Lecture Rm, 168 (you can find parking on Bradley avenue or on campus). We are having what we're calling a panel Discussion: Occupy Wall Street: What is it? On it will be a few students, and two professors, Michael Perillo has agreed to be our moderator/question facilitator.

Invite everyone. It is a large room!