Welcome to the official website of the Peoria Illinois General Assembly

Read the New York City General Assembly Declaration
Create an Account
Join some groups
or find other ways to help

You are browsing the archive for 2011 December.

December 31 Planning Meeting for the Move to Amend Rally (location changed)

December 28, 2011 in News

(http://twitter NULL.com/share)

The Occupy Peoria Direct Action Working Group is hosting an open meeting for planning participation in the Move to Amend, January 20th Rally at the Federal Courthouse in Peoria.   This planning meeting will be held in the Peoria Library on Saturday, December 31st from 1 PM to 3 PM.

This meeting is open to all individuals and groups who want to learn about and/or participate in this event.

Leaflets Available

December 24, 2011 in News

(http://twitter NULL.com/share)

Our leaflets are now available for download and use.

Leaflets

by Don

January 20th Rally at the Federal Courthouse 11am to 1pm

December 22, 2011 in Future Proposals

(http://twitter NULL.com/share)

In support of the planned demonstrations across the nation by Move to Amend and other organizations opposed to the Supreme Court Decision made 1 year ago on January 21st, Occupy Peoria should participate alongside those assembled to voice our support to Amendments which will overturn the Supreme Court’s Decision. More details will be discussed at the December 24th, General Assembly at the Peoria Public Library at 3pm.

Unreliable Comcast email deliver from this site

December 13, 2011 in News

(http://twitter NULL.com/share)

Comcast is no longer reliably delivering email from OccupyPeoria.org to Comcast email accounts.  It can be difficult to register, reset a password, or receive other email notifications if you use a Comcast email account. None of these delayed or lost emails were available in the spam folder and Comcast provided no indication that the emails were delayed or lost.

For 4 days, all email from OccupyPeoria.org to 3 different Comcast email accounts was delayed 9 to 12 hours.  Another day Comcast quickly delivered one email and then lost several others.  During this same time period, Comcast email from other sources was arriving within seconds and outbound email from OccupyPeoria.org to non-Comcast email accounts was also delivered within seconds.

General Assembly Minutes – Saturday, December 10th – 3pm

December 13, 2011 in Assemblies, GA Minutes

(http://twitter NULL.com/share)

General Assembly Minutes – Saturday, December 10th – 3pm

Agenda item #1 – Response to Two Media Questions -

[Media Question 1]
What has been the reaction to Occupy Peoria from the general public?

Overwhelmingly positive comments and interactions, with the exception of a few who said that the sidewalk chalk was dirty. “Get a job” was shouted a few times. Handful of drunks on weekend nights. High traffic for both business or school during the weekdays.

Conversations with new people and perspectives. Homeless interaction and outreach.

[15 people]

Some disagreements at first, but they opened up a dialogue that usually ended with the sharing of personal stories sympathetic to the movement.

Support with donated food. Lots of homeless. They have relevant issues and contributed to GAs. In general, neutral or positive feedback. 

Overwhelmingly positive. Cars stop and donate items.

Thank yous and handshakes. Combating illusions and wild stereotypes.

People can see we can make a difference symbolism.

[Media Question 2] 
What do we plan on doing through the winter, next spring, etc.?

Distribute flyers. Develop five reasons why we support OWS and also localized to peoria’s goals. Discuss how to get the message out. 

Teach-ins regarding issues people need to be aware of. Informational presentations and leaflets. YouTube clips. 

Continue to address the issue of income inequality and how out of control it’s gotten. Discuss power and equality issues. Corps and politics revolving door? Out of publics’ control?

How to harness the populist movement? Develop a cooperative body. Refine the message.

Occupy our homes with foreclosed homes? Find families to help put back in homes. How do we find those places?

Agenda Item #2 – Outreach -

Goal construction. Find five common goals. Distinguish between reasons and goals.

1. Overturn citizen’s united: Corporations aren’t people
2. Banking accountability
3. Cut wasteful defense spending
4. Tax reform
5. Fair trade policy

Discussion on leaving them flexible. Room for personal goals.

Good discussion talking points.

Agenda item #3 – Mayor’s Article -

[Public reading of the article of discussion]

We are looking to reinstate values that Jim Ardis simplifies.
Write a letter in response?
Make an appointment with Jim’s office to meet him?
Visual protest (shoe-shine boxes)?
Circulating Jim Ardis article to public?

 
Agenda Item #4 – Outreach Announcement-

Good ideas for grievances (flyer created by Harry).
Flyer shows why many are angry or dismayed about major imbalances.
Do not narrow it down to a few things, but add to a list.
Purpose of outreach?
Handing out flyers to Grand Prairie?
Reachout to people on Martin Luther King Day?
Jan 25th ICC fair for student activities. Put up a booth or just go there and visit with people.
Jan 20th Occupy Court House.
Trying to connect the people, get their interest to our events and form groups that will be a service to them.
Go to different areas of the community and make others aware of Occupy.
Outreach community will meet Tuesday at 4pm

 
Agenda Item #5 – Bringing a Speaker to Peoria on War - 

“Soldiers of Conscience” showing of film. http://www.soldiers-themovie.com/AboutFilmmakers.html

Two day event expense would be plane tickets for conscientious objector and former Staff Sgt of Florida National Guard Camilo Mejia and Marie and a speaker fee.

Get a Co-Sponsor: partnering with Bradley University or Veterans for Peace and Peoria Area Peace Network?

Peoria Downtown Public library says they have a good facility here to have showing of movie and speaker.

March and June would work to bring in speakers. If we did it in March, leaflet it during March Madness at the Civic Center? 

Money Issue

 
Agenda Item #6 – Winterizing Occupation/24.7 Occupation/What’s Next/Occupy Our Homes - 

Very Cold.
No one walking by.
Is it worth it?
Concentrate on outreach.
Energies maybe more important to do teach-ins
Play day-by-day
Check supplies and things are tidy every so often.
Sliming things down on occupation
Discussed the same things that were brought at Tuesday’s GA Dec. 6th
Keep in contact with those who are homeless friends.
Do more for homeless in general
Propane tanks to heat area.
Put signs on inside of windows at storefronts or empty buildings.
 

Agenda Item #7 – Leaflet corrections -

More cited sources. 
Take out the word “Goals”
Do we want two different leaflets: One with facts, the other with issues?
Simplify flyer information by presenting more info on .org site?

 
Agenda Item #8 – Possible teach-ins - 

Get students involved after Christmas break.
Developing a reading list.
Bradley professors teaching social movement and community organizing courses have expressed interest.
Topic suggestions and schedule we want? weekly or monthly?
Talk about the history of social movements.
Incorporate outreach’s five issues for teach-in topic structure? refer to leaflet?

Outreach Working Group Meeting – Tuesday, December 13th

December 12, 2011 in News

(http://twitter NULL.com/share)

The Outreach Working Group will be meeting Tuesday, December 13th 4:00 PM at the Bradley Library.  All are welcome.  Meet in front of the library. 

General Assembly Minutes – Tuesday, December 6th – 6pm

December 8, 2011 in Assemblies, GA Minutes

(http://twitter NULL.com/share)

General Assembly Minutes – Tuesday, December 6th – 6pm

[Review of the GA minutes from Monday @ 11am]

Previous Agenda item #1 – Sustainability
Is 24/7 sustainable? Limit hours per week? Exhaustion. December – students leaving for the semester. Cold weather. Holidays
Proposal: Adjust hours to 9am start (daybreak over buildings, increased foot traffic, etc.) until the 6pm GA.

Previous Agenda item #2 – Supplies
A storage shed in Morton is available. Have a garage/storage unit next to the laura bradley house. Slim down to food, blankets, and tarps? Any developments on a permanent space? 123 adams adjacent to plaza may be expensive. Labor temple charges a fee, but are they open to storing supplies? Bradley storage?

Previous Agenda item #3 – Winterized Encampment
Army tents, heating sources. Wood burners don’t need a permit. Electricity. Winter clothing.

[End discussion of previous GA minutes.]

Agenda item #1 – General Discussion of the Current Occupation -

Do we intend to occupy with reduced hours 9am – 6pm until the holiday or bad weather?

Pros: Focused energies. Safety at night. 

Suggestion to not propose an ending time after the 6pm GA

Suggestion that the last person packs items of importance (books, chairs, etc.)

Pack important things for garage storage tonight?

What about inclement weather?

Suggestion to encourage personal responsibility for supplies. Only bring items you feel comfortable donating or losing.

Will people complain about leaving our supplies unattended? Littering?

Donations of warm weather materials – coats, scarves, etc. left unused since their on-site donation? 

Homeless attendee suggests that the Salvation Army has everything they need, and encourages donation to local support services for children. Goodwill.

Keep frequently used supplies on-site at all times? (blankets, gloves, art supplies, etc.)

Post a list of the needs? 

Occupypeoria.org; Twitter: @occupypeoria #needsoftheoccupiers

Homeless attendee suggests we create a needs for the homeless list (salvation army and church meal times, etc.). Suggested response is to work this into the outreach working group.

Suggestion to be self-sufficient. Pros: not risking littering..

Summarization of the items discussed and agreement to move on to other agenda items.

Agenda item #2 – Other Permanent Spaces for the Winter - 

Mt Zion baptist church will let us use a room the size of the library room if we schedule days and hours.

Suggestion to draft days and hours to pass to them.

Do we need a workshop place?

Motion to gather potential places for workshops and GAs and continue to maintain Fulton Plaza presence. Passed.

Agenda item #3 – Winterizing Encampent -

An attendee has been developing a design to build an insulated disposable cost of $10. Fifteen hours to build and assemble? Has a quarter-scale model.

Build an art-based tent encampment?

Summarized and proposed to continue dialogue at the next meeting. Passed.

Agenda item #4 – Building Awareness of Local Events (i.e. civic center) for Potential Action and Outreach - 

General agreement on the idea

Agenda item #5 – City Council Action - 

Residents can address the chamber for an allotted time.

Suggestion that the recent cumulative voting issue merits our attention.

May be too late to build a referendum.

Build a regular presence at these meetings?

Research constructive arguments to present to the public?

Mic check events? (Appropriateness for city council? May work once?)

Can we can draw an experienced Chicago activist to increase effectiveness of the mic check?

Build a constructive dialogue with city hall?

Agenda item #6 – Peer Review of Statistic Leaflets - 

Don’t confuse stats with demands.

Keep citations.

Post on the .org page.

Outreach group should be involved with this action.

Agenda item #7 – Video Production - 

30 second interviews? Practice interviewing each other.

Preview of footage on a private website thread and/or GAs.

An occupy Peoria YouTube page has been created.

Good press.

Agenda item #8 – Reinforce Getting Working Groups and Meetings on Website - 

Own a working group. They were chosen from the NYC model. 

Post events.

Agreed.

[Congratulations for a completed week. Proof of concept. Learned useful things.] 

Agenda item #9 – Media - 

A local pjstar journalist inquired about our winter presence.

Invite him to a GA? Ask him to come to the next Saturday GA?

The Solidarity Journal will record audio and interviews next Tuesday.

End GA. 12 present.

New Times for General Assemblies

December 5, 2011 in News

(http://twitter NULL.com/share)

At the 2nd General Assembly on December 3rd, additional times for general assemblies were established as follows:

 

Occupy Peoria General Assemblies
Day of Week Times Location
Monday through Friday 11 AM and 6 PM Peoria Fulton Plaza
Saturday 3 PM Peoria Downtown Library
Sunday none  

As approved in a prior assembly, at least 15 must be present to record concensus on any proposals.

To help ensure adequate numbers for concesus, all should make special effort to attend the Saturday and Wednesday assemblies.

GA Minutes – Saturday, December 3rd – 1:00pm

December 4, 2011 in Assemblies, GA Minutes

(http://twitter NULL.com/share)

Agenda Item #1 – Indoor space – (Shannon)

He located two potential properties away from Fulton plaza worth pursuing. The cost of the rentals will be researched this week.

Possibility to do a work/trade agreement to fix up 123 Adams adjacent to the plaza, but the property needs extensive ceiling and electrical work.

Does moving indoors take away from the cause? 

Safety issues with extreme cold.

Protest outside/meet inside – find a balance

Pursue a free place? Focus upon movement and outreach around town – churches, civic organizations?

Come back seasonally.

Need a place to hold supplies. 

Illegal to set up tent? Need to ask the city. 

Proposal to gather more info for a permanent spot to keep supplies – proposal passes with 25 people present

Agenda Item #2 – Email contact info for action items – Harry

Confusion about where and when events are happening

Don has the email list – he should be contacted to add names to the list – bring more info how to do that next meeting 

Facebook – dealing with negative comments and keeping people updated on events – Bradley group updates regularly and keeps trolls at bay

Occupypeoria.org, ustream, YouTube, & twitter were all suggested.

Meeting notices and minutes will be on the .org page

Agenda item #3 – Donations of items policy – Shannon

Where do we put donated items from the public? Cash food phones. 

How do we keep our collection tidy? 

We will get a prepaid phone donation for those present here. 

Phone contact list and emergency contact list are needed

Agenda item #4 – Is there a treasurer? – Harry

No

It was suggested that we open a credit union account if the need arises. Group or personal account? 

Two co-signer proposal to open an account at cefcu. Need a business account needs a business ID? Tax obligations? 27 people now.

T-shirt sales?

Make a wish list for goods and services 

If its a small amount of money is donated, consensus was made to accept it (for coffee)

Consensus was also reached to accept goods rather than monetary donations if possible.

Agenda item #5 – Safety – Andrea

Get a first aid kit, hand sanitizer.

Should we ask drunk homeless to leave? 

We have the responsibility to take care of each other.

Take personal responsibility!

Overtalk issue?

Late night danger! Walking to vehicles.

Battery issues for cell phones

Should have at least two people with at least one cell phone.

Need morning rush-shift people. Make a schedule to work this out.

Have someone on call. Contribute at least two hours every other day if possible?

Agenda item #6 – Include this GA info at the 3pm GA – Paul

Passed

Agenda item #7 – Forming a mediation team – Joey

Keep people honest and grown up. Maturity emphasized. Step in if an issue overshadows our mission. If you notice conflicts, stop them.

Proposal for everyone to be responsible and help resolve conflicts.

Passed. 24 people.

Agenda item #8 – Shift times & scheduling – Shannon & Larry

Start to commit to times on the occupy site. Need people during the morning rush. Civic center events. Sign up in our scheduling notebook before you leave.

Is the goal for 24/7?

Is there a point to stay overnight?

Agenda item #9 – Mission/purpose for being here – Bob

Pick out 3 strong topics to discuss. Local corporate giveaways? 

Specialized topics?

Take money out of politics.

Politicians being bought.

Get ahold of the local crime stats. 

City layoffs vs Marriot funding.

Fulton Plaza GA at 1pm Today

December 3, 2011 in Assemblies, News

(http://twitter NULL.com/share)

Occupy Peoria – Saturday, December 3rd – 1:00pm

‎1pm Fulton Plaza General Assembly

Today’s general assembly is at 1pm at the Fulton Plaza downtown, followed by another previously-scheduled GA at 3pm at the library. Come one, come all. Rain or shine.

All week down at Fulton we’ve been throwing around some very good ideas about where to take this occupation. Lots of exciting things to discuss. If you are uncertain about occupying – today is the day to come down and hear what we are about.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Occupy-Peoria/197898350283956?ref=ts